Monday 27 August 2012

Overweight luggage

The last week I have spent packing.

The last month my closet and dressers have been organized into two sections:

 What stays
 and
 What goes.


It feels like I have had to place everything in my life in one of the two areas. The problem is I have trouble separating myself from any of it.

One pile is significantly larger than the other, there is more that I want to bring with me than what I am willing to part with. 

I would probably bring it all if I could.

So instead of trying to go back through all of my items, I try to be as efficient in my packing as possible.

I cram things in to the point where they are 49.9 lb. and bursting at the seams.

Which I think is something I think we all do, but not only with our checked baggage. 

We all hold on to things for too long, too afraid to forget the story or the emotion behind the significance. 

Because each item has some significance. 

As humans we love what is tangible, and that love often weighs us down with luggage we do not need. 

Our bags are heavy and burdensome, yet we keep trying to fit those last few items in, because for some reason we are too afraid to let them go.

And this is not only applicable for the physical clutter in our lives.

Sometime it seems as if our hearts were suitcases, where we store away every crush, every touch, every heartbreak. We carry this suitcase around with us continuously adding to it, but we never even think about opening it and cleaning out the contents. 

Eventually these suitcases become to full to add to, overweight and too big to meet the requirements. 

So then we have to do what everyone hates and is embarrassed of: we have to sort through it in the middle of the airport, trying to lighten the load enough to fit that last piece in and still not get overcharged.

If we would just go through them ahead of time, or even better examined whether or not we really need to travel with each item, then this can be avoided.

It all starts with forgiveness. 

That is how we rid ourselves of those unnecessary items.

So while I am still bringing five bags with me to school (rough estimate), there is one bag that I know I can leave behind, for I no longer can carry it as a burden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment