Monday 10 September 2012

Being Intentional

This summer I wrote a list of goals I have for the year.

Most of them were simple yearly goals regarding things like how many times I will go to chapel each week,  but there is one that I have grown particularly fond of.

Once a week I have to take a walk with God. 

That means once I week I have to immerse myself in God's creation and marvel at His majesty.

And Majestic He is.

Not only is this a time for me to admire His masterful workmanship, but it is a time when I have to acknowledge His ever-constant Presence.

Sometimes I feel like God is in the room, sitting quietly and patiently for us to ask Him to join our conversations, and too often I feel like we leave Him out.

He is always with us, so why do we allow ourselves to act and speak as if He cannot hear or see us?

So in walking with God there is a level of intentionality added.

When you take a walk with someone you assume that you will talk with them while you walk.

You'll point out the things you see along the way.

You'll stop and watch the slug slowly slither.

You'll chase the butterfly hoping to catch it in your hand.

You'll pick wild blackberries and eat them without washing them, amazed at how much better they taste that way.

I know it seems silly to tell God about all of these things because He was the one who made them and He understands them better than I ever could, but God created us to walk with Him in this way.

He walked with Adam and Eve in the garden.

He probably answered their questions about the fruits upon the trees and the animals that crossed their path.

But He wants to be included in our lives.

After all, He is already so involved in them.

And like He did with Adam and Eve today He answered my questions, and replenished my soul.



All because I chose to be intentional. 

1 comment: