Monday 30 July 2012

A false security

"Come to me continually. I am meant to be the Center of your consciousness, the Anchor of your soul. Your mind will wander from Me, but the question is how far you allow it to wander. An anchor on a short rope lets a boat drift only slightly before the taunt line tugs the boat back towards the center. Similarly, as you drift away from Me, My Spirit within you gives a tug, prompting you to return to Me. As you Become increasingly attuned to My Presence, the length of rope on you soul's anchor is shortened. You wander only a short distance before feeling that inner tug- telling you to return to your true Center in Me.

Hebrews 6:19; 1 John 2:28; Matthew 22:37"

~Sarah Young,  Jesus Calling 

This was my devotional last night. And while I was pondering the length of my own rope I realized that I do not only have one anchor. 

I am a boat with two anchors attached to the hull, a boat attached to two docks. 

On one dock stands My Lord.

On the other stands this world.

One rope is shorter than the other. 

And it is not the rope that should be shorter.

I feel trapped between the two, and try as I might to pull myself closer to the only dock of importance, I cannot grow nearer. 

Not without breaking one of the bonds.

I grow exhausted in my attempt to wear out the chords on the side of little value, knowing that if I can only snap the shackles my Lord will pull me in the right direction. 

I have nothing to sever the rope, and part of me does not want to look for anything to try.

The part that does not want to leave the second dock behind.

The part that feels safe in the in between.

But I know I am not safe without a captain, and that the world is unable to offer me one. 

So I suppose I must start looking for something sharp to sever the ties. 


No comments:

Post a Comment