Monday 10 October 2011

Thanksgiving

Today was Thanksgiving.

Well, kind of.

And honestly recently it has hard to find things to be thankful for. I have been feeling isolated from my friends and family, and from a little girl who means the world to me. And it is really hard to feel thankful when you feel alone.

But this weekend God has provided me with time with some family, and some time with some friends. The problem is I still don't feel as thankful as I should. I loved it and I love each and every one of them, but it wasn't where I wanted to be. Thanksgiving should be spent at home and as much as I know that I am so blessed to have had this opportunity, I still can't help that feeling of homesickness.

But I know that this was the choice that I made; to occasionally be homesick was to be expected. I guess I just didn't expect it to hit this hard. My mother will be thrilled to hear.

Today was Thanksgiving. At least above the Canadian border. And while I still feel like I should've been more thankful I've realized that is isn't about what you are missing at the moment, but what you currently have. And by the standards of the vast majority of the world I have more than I need. I have the ability to love and people that love me back and I think that is really all that you need.

Today was Thanksgiving. And in the last fleeting moments of it I'm beginning to feel grateful for it.
But luckily, Thanksgiving isn't the only day we can be thankful. It's just the only day that we force ourselves to be. So in between this Thanksgiving and the next, I'm going to make an effort to be grateful for everything God's given me, no matter how long of a day it was, or how bad of a day it was. Because there are so many opportunities to be grateful, but we just have to remember to look for them, just like we do every Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment