Thursday 6 October 2011

A Question

Who do you love enough to die for?


For me, the answer would be fairly simple: my family, my friends, all of the people I cared about. I'd like to think I'd take a bullet for them or push them out of the way of a moving bus. For the people I love I don't think I'd hesitate to step in front of the gun as the fingers embrace the trigger. But that isn't a hard question. That is something most people would probably be able to list at least one name. In fact, the harder question isn't a split second decision to sacrifice yourself for someone you love, but to love them enough to keep living even if you weren't there to stop the bullet, or the bus, or the cancer. 

The real question should be this:



Who do you love enough to live for?

It also might seem like an easy answer, that is until grief takes grasp of you and drags you down until you are left drowning in despair. But if you love someone enough you have to claw your way out of that chasm, bottomless as it may seem and you must fight to keep living, breathing, even though your heart is so broken the act seems without result.  But you can battle through the fear of what life will be without them and forge onto new territory, yet to be discovered. The road will by no means be easy, and there will be days when you don't want to get of bed, but if the lost loved you, then they will be cheering you on.

I know it is more appealing to just take the few seconds of pain, and i know you want to prevent those you love from any pain, but we rarely get that chance. I wish I could take the tumor from Annie's body and place it in my own, but God hasn't given me that opportunity. And he probably never will. But that doesn't mean I can't make the most of the opportunity he has given me, in a life, filled and blessed by him.

I know it may seem more courageous to die for someone you love, "but courage doesn't always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow".


So... Who do you love enough to LIVE for?

1 comment:

  1. So completely beautiful Vel. It is one of the hardest things to move on after the loss of someone dear. To move out of the consuming anguish from the emptiness of the space they once occupied and find the energy to simply smile. Love you so much. Thank you for being so eloquent. :)

    ReplyDelete