Saturday 24 November 2012

Jesus take the wheel


So I mentioned in my last post that there was more than one theme God has been thrusting in my life. 

So here is the other one:


I have to surrender it all to God. 


Countless times I have had conversations about worrying and stressing and letting anxiety take over, and how all of those things means that I'm not really trusting that God will be there to care of it for me.


But the truth is: He will. 


Always. 


And so I am wasting all of my time sitting in this anxiety when I could be out living my life the way He wants me to. 


So all of the things I worry about, all of the little fears that pop into my mind I must uproot. 


A good friend of mine told me this old wives' saying:

"You can't stop a bird from landing on your head, but you can keep it from building a nest"


And that is how I have come to look at all of those little worries that plague me throughout the day.


They are birds, and while I can't help them from entering my thoughts, I can prevent them from staying. 


And here's another thing I've learned, not as much recently, although recently it has come up a lot: 
Fear is never from God.


Think about it:
Whenever a Messenger from the Lord comes, what is the first thing they say?

Do not be afraid.


Do not be afraid. 

We can't foresee what will happen, and if we sit and try and guess there is a high percentage that we will be wrong.

All we can do is surrender your fears the second they enter your mind.

Surrender your fears and surrender everything else as well.

The same wise friend also recently voiced something I had always known, but had never thought of:

"Every time we think we have control of our life it is just a trick from the Devil. He wants you to think you have control, but he is really the one in control."



All of it reminds me of a series my dad once gave called "merge" and this is the example he used to make it click in me.

He said: "Imagine you are driving on a long stretch of road, and Jesus is in the passengers seat. Now you know He wants to drive but you are happy being in control, that is, until you get tired. Then you let Him drive for the next little bit of road, until you are no longer sad or exhausted, but then you want back in control. And He of course gives it to you, but before He does He says 'I wish you would let me drive the rest of the way, after all, it is I who knows where we are going, and after all, it is my car.' But instead we keep putting Him to the side, not allowing Him to take us the way He's planned, the route without any traffic or construction."

Now here's how the two connect:

 Imagine while you are driving, you are listening to a GPS. It is telling you where to go and how to get there. But the GPS wants you to hit rush hour, it wants you to get lost along the way. That is Satan: he might not be driving the car, but he is the one in control of the driver. And all Jesus says is: "I wish you would stop listening to that, and just let me drive. I don't need the GPS, I already know the way."



We need to surrender it all to Him.
We need to let Him take the wheel.
Because without His direction we are lost.






1 comment:

  1. "You won't relent" is an amazing song. Love your butt. :)

    ReplyDelete