Sunday 17 June 2012

Infinite Possibilities

There are few things I hate more than an empty Word Document. 

I hate it because if I open a new one up I intend to write something down. Whether that be a paper for a class or simply something for here, something to satisfy the urge within me to put paper to pen, my intent is always to walk away with a feeling of "that couldn't have been said any better". 

So when the document remains utterly blank for more than a few moments, or worse gets a glimmer of black ink only then to be erased, I become frustrated enough to the point to where I quit (unless in the case of paper. Then I write something down and hope to at another day make it appear intelligent).

Now this may be hard to accept, but profound thoughts are not always floating around in my head ready to be recorded. In fact, there are very few intelligent things that come out of my brain. 

And so that is why I think I hate the look of a blank page. It reminds me of all that I should be able to think of as a (self-acclaimed) writer. 

I want to be one of those writers that help make sense of it all. The ones who I run to as my means of escape. 

Yet in these moments when I try to create some massive epiphany, it never comes, much to my shock and dismay.

 So I begin to resent the whiteness of my inability to take words and form them into coherent sentences.   

But I think instead, I need to just start writing. I need to abandon the concept of a theme to discuss or a topic to solve with my (probably ill-informed) opinion. 

Because who knows what will become of these little tidbits.

Maybe they will ultimately fit together like puzzle pieces.
Maybe they will lead to a very important conversation in the future.
Maybe they will spark a flame.
Or maybe they will just remain my senseless rants.

but who am I to say?

God could use them in a way I could never possibly guess.

So now, I am going to try and stop viewing the emptiness of the page as a reflection of my incompetence. But instead I will look at it as all it could be. All of the possible things that could result as my persevering to fill the page, even if it is less than perfect.



And I think this concept applies to more than just writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment