Wednesday 27 March 2013

Bottoms Up

Something has stricken me in this Easter season.

"Then Jesus went with His disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and He said to them, 'Sit here while I go over there and pray.' He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with Him, and began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then He said to them 'My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.'

Going a little further, He fell with His face to the ground and prayed,
'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup of suffering be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will'"
Matthew 26:36-39

Jesus prayed for His suffering to go away. He asked for the pain to be taken away. But He was strong enough to do the Father's will regardless of His want. 

I've always had a hard time praying for myself. Praying for the pain to go away. For some reason it made me feel guilty or as if I didn't trust Him. But if Jesus can hate the pain, if He can ask for it to be taken from Him so can I. 

I just have to be as strong as Him if the Lord has a different plan.

"He went away a second time and prayed
'My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be 
taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.'

I can ask for the pain to go away. I can hate every second of it. But I won't get mad at God for making me drink it. 

I guess my only response can be bottoms up.


No comments:

Post a Comment